The natural harbour in Galle was the island's
chief port of call as far back as in the 14th century. The
Portuguese landed there in 1505 and built bastions and a fortalice
to guard the harbour. The present 90 acre fort with the lighthouse
and church was built by the Dutch in 1663. It still remains
a port of call where people, traveling down the Galle road
and beyond to Kataragama and Yala, break journey and spend
a delightful time exploring this historic city.